Overall, there is some terrific work here, mixed in with a group of more forgettable images, leaving me feeling like a chance was missed to tell a larger, more distinct story. But perhaps the point was to expose the audience to the multiplicity of ways abstraction is being used by contemporary photographers, rather than to follow specific narrative vectors or draw definitive conclusions. If that was the goal, than perhaps this show should be thought of as a sampler, where each viewer will resonate with some, but not all, of what is offered.
- The Edge of Vision book (here)
- Curator Lyle Rexler videos (here) and (here)
- Charles Lindsay artist site (here)
- Ellen Carey artist site (here)
- Aperture's Some Like It Hot Summer Party (here)
New York, NY 10001